Evan J. Smith, M.D.Board Certified & Fellowship Trained Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Smith is a board-certified, Harvard fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in reconstructive surgery of the hip and knee. He graduated from the Pennsylvania State University-Honors College with a major in Biology where he was elected to the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa honor society. He subsequently attended Drexel University College of Medicine where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society for his dedication to research, education, and academic excellence.
Dr. Smith completed his orthopaedic residency training at the George Washington University in Washington, DC. Afterward, he completed specialty training in hip and knee replacement surgery at the Harvard Adult Reconstruction program at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, MA.
Dr. Smith has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and has trained with many renowned orthopaedic surgeons. He has extensive experience with anterior hip replacement surgery and offers full and partial knee replacements. Additionally, Dr. Smith is extensively trained in the management of revision hip and knee replacement surgery. In his free time, he enjoys hiking, camping and running, and spending time with his wife and son.
- Medical School
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University
Harvard-MGH Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
- Professional Membership
American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Karrasch, C., Smith, E., Armstrong, A. Distal humerus articular malunion after an open reduction–internal fixation of a capitellum-trochlea shear fracture: a case report. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 3.25 (2016): e55-e60.
- Smith, E., Kappa, J. O’Brien, J. Interventions for osteoporosis in patients with degenerative scoliosis. Seminars in Spine Surgery. June 2017. Volume 29, Issue 2, Pages 71-134.
- Smith, E., Kuang, X., Pandarinath, R. Comparing outcomes in open and closed tibia fractures treated with intramedullary fixation. INJURY. Volume 48, Issue 7, July 2017, Pages 1609-1612.
- Falk, D., Smith, E., Gupta, S., Yu, W., O’Brien, J. Complex spinal surgery in patients with osteoporosis. Tips and tricks for achieving adequate constructs and avoiding complications. Seminars in Spine Surgery. September 2017 volume 30. Issue 1.
- Smith, E., Kyhos, J., Dolitsky, R., Yu, W. O’Brien, J. 2-5year follow up on the S2AI technique for lumbo-sacral fusion. Spine Deformity Journal. 2018 Jan;6(1):72-78.
- Tran A, Lee D, Fassihi S, Smith E, Lee R, Siram G. A Systematic Review of the Effect of Regional Anesthesia on Diagnosis and Management of Acute Compartment Syndrome in Long Bone Fractures. European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. 2020
- Smith, E., Lee, D., Masonis, J., & Melvin, J. S. Lateral Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty. JBJS reviews, 8(3), e0044.
- Smith, E. J., Ibrahim, G., & Scully, R. D. (2020). Intraoperative Fluoroscopy Improves Recreation of Femoral Offset but not Leg Lengths during Direct Anterior Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Orthop Surg Tech, 3(1), 115-119.
- Smith, E. J., Katakam, A., Box, H., Healy, W. L., Bedair, H. S., & Melnic, C. M. (2020). Staged vs Concurrent Hardware Removal during Conversion Total Knee Arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 35(12), 3569-3574.
- Smith, E. J., Heng, M., Bedair, H. S., & Melnic, C. M. (2020). Total knee arthroplasty following intramedullary tibial nailing. Knee Surgery & Related Research, 32(1), 1-5.
- Klemt, C., Smith, E, Oganesyan, R., Limmahakhun, S., Fitz, D., & Kwon, Y. M. (2020). Outcome of Dual Mobility Constructs for Adverse Local Tissue Reaction Associated Abductor Deficiency in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 35(12), 3686-3691.
- Drago, Oganesyan, Klemt, Yeo, Smith, E., Kwon, Y-M. Gait and Knee Flexion In-Vivo Kinematics of asymmetrical tibial polyethylene geometry cruciate retaining total knee arthroplasty. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2020 Oct 27.
- Smith, E.., Klemt, C., Sabeh, K., Tirumala, V., Kwon, Y-M. Patient-Reported Outcomes Associated with Preoperative Opioid Use in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty: A Propensity Score Matched Cohort Study. JAAOS. 2021, 29(7), e330-e336.
- Bounajem, G., Meier, S., Smith, E., Heng, M., Melnic, C. Total Hip Arthroplasty to Treat Chronic Native Hip Obturator Dislocation: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connector: October-December 2020, Volume 10, Issue 4 - p e20.00497
- Liang, X., Smith, E., Klemt, C., Barghi, A., Padmanabha, A., Kwon, Y-M. MRI characteristics of adverse local tissue reactions associated with intra-operative tissue damage and poor revision surgery outcomes A Systematic Review. JAAOS, 2021, 29(20), e1025-e1033.
- Tirumala, Van den Kieboom, Klemt, Bounajem, Smith, E., Kwon, Y-M. Outcome and Risk Factors Associated with Two-Stage Reimplantation Requiring Interim Spacer Exchange for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. The Journal of Arthroplasty. 2021 36(3), 1094-1100.
- Klemt, C., Padmanabha, A., Tirumala, V., Walker, P., Smith, E., & Kwon, Y. M. (2021). Lumbar Spine Fusion Before Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty Is Associated With Increased Dislocation Rates. JAAOS-, 10-5435.
- Klemt, C., Tirumala, V., Smith, E., Padmanabha, A., & Kwon, Y. M. (2021). Development of a preoperative risk calculator for reinfection following revision surgery for periprosthetic joint infection. The Journal of Arthroplasty, 36(2), 693-699.
- Klemt, C., Padmanabha, A., Tirumala, V., Smith, E., & Kwon, Y. M. (2021). The Effect of Joint Line Elevation on In Vivo Knee Kinematics in Bicruciate Retaining Total Knee Arthroplasty. The Journal of Knee Surgery.
- Klemt C, Padmanabha A, Esposito JG, Laurencin S, Smith EJ, Kwon YM. Elevated ESR and CRP Prior to Second-Stage Reimplantation Knee Revision Surgery for Periprosthetic Joint Infection Are Associated with Increased Reinfection Rates. The Journal of Knee Surgery. 2021 Aug 10.
- Tirumala, V., Smith, E., Box, H., van den Kieboom, J., Klemt, C., & Kwon, Y. M. (2021). Outcome of debridement, antibiotics, and implant retention with modular component exchange in acute culture-negative periprosthetic joint infections. The Journal of Arthroplasty, 36(3), 1087-1093.
- Chen, W., Klemt, C., Smith, E., Tirumala, V., Xiong, L., & Kwon, Y. M. (2021). Outcomes and Risk Factors Associated with Failures of Debridement, Antibiotics, and Implant Retention in Patients with Acute Hematogenous Periprosthetic Joint Infection. JAAOS 10-5435.