What is a Second Opinion on Joint Replacement and Complex Revisions?
A second opinion on joint replacement or complex revisions is a second medical evaluation and treatment recommendation by a new doctor to verify the initial diagnosis and treatment plan suggested by your first doctor regarding undergoing joint replacement or revision of a failed joint replacement.
Causes for Failure of a Joint Replacement
Some of the causes for a failed joint replacement include:
- Infection of the joint implants
- Damage or fracture of the implant
- Improper soft tissue balancing
- Loosening of the joint implants
- Not following postoperative restrictions
Benefits of a Second Opinion on Joint Replacement or Complex Revisions
Joint replacements and complex revisions are major surgical procedures that have a big impact on your life. Getting a second opinion will give you a broader understanding of:
- The underlying cause and severity of your joint condition
- The reason for failure of your initial joint replacement
- The various surgical and non-surgical treatment options
- The different types of implants that might improve surgical outcomes
When Should You Seek a Second Opinion on Joint Replacement or Complex Revisions?
You may opt for a second opinion for any of the following situations:
- The diagnosis is unclear, or you have doubts about the diagnosis.
- You are not happy with the recommended treatment.
- You want to know every possible choice available for treatment.
- You think an alternative treatment may be available.
- You would like to consider a different course of treatment.
- You feel uncertain about having a major surgery or a major procedure.
- You have undergone joint replacement, but your symptoms continue.
- You have lost confidence in your medical care provider.
How Should You Seek a Second Opinion on Joint Replacement & Complex Revisions?
Once you choose to go for a second opinion, consider contacting a joint replacement specialist with extensive experience treating patients with similar joint conditions. Friends and relatives can be of great help to ask for recommendations of good doctors, especially if they have been treated for the same condition or know someone who has been. Online physician profiles in the hospital, as well as unbiased medical listings, can come in handy when finding out more information about the joint replacement specialist that you would like to choose.
Check with your insurance company to make sure that the doctor that you have chosen is within your health insurance network so that you are not troubled later by unexpected medical expenses.
What should You Ask Your Current Doctor?
Be upfront while telling your doctor about your intention to seek a second opinion. Ask for all your medical records with relevant images and inferences, so that you can share them with the joint replacement specialist. In fact, it is quite common for patients to seek a second opinion and most doctors encourage patients to seek second opinions if they are unsure of the recommended treatment.
If you wish to be advised on your condition and the most appropriate treatment, call us on (West Chester Township), (Fairfield Healthplex) to schedule an appointment or click here to request an appointment online.